|Posted by Candace Riner on March 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM||comments (2373)|
Here we are again and now we are over half way through the course! It makes me sad to think about because I am having such a great time with the girls.
In my last e-mail, we took care of some housekeeping items of what would be going on in the weeks ahead. Here is brief refreshment.
If you are not receiving updates or correspondence via e-mail please add [email protected] to your safe sender list. Also look in your junk mail folder to see if your e-mail provider thinks it’s Spam.
If you or your daughter(s) are on Facebook and would like to keep up with information about Princess in His Image Ministries and class information, please visit the PIHI Facebook Page and become a member (Search: Princess in His Image or click on link in the e-mail signature below).
If you have not already been to our website, please see the links in the e-mail signature below or go to www.princessinhisimage.com and become a member there also.
We are having an Overnight “Charm Course” Retreat for the girls to be held May 6-7 at the Ouachita Baptist Assembly near Board Camp. It will begin at 6:00pm on Friday night and conclude at 2:00pm with a closing ceremony on Saturday afternoon. A Registration form and flyer will be handed out in a few weeks. The registration deadline is April 15.
Please let me know if you and your daughter(s) will be attending the Radiant Purity conference for ages 12-22 in Roger, AR on April 22-23 that I mentioned in the previous e-mail. There is also a Strong in the Lord conference for 8-14 held earlier that week on April 19-20 at the same location. If you will be attending either of these please let me know so we can all make plans for lodging accommodations and lunch together on Saturday.
Please continue to encourage your daughter(s) to complete the “Write from Your Heart” sections after each lesson. Most of the time, we do not have time to complete it during class.
Notice: We will not have a regular class on Monday, March 21 due to Spring Break for the local public schools; however, we will have make up classes for students who have missed one or more lessons. We will have volunteers on hand to work with girls on what they have missed during the class. We will be ready for students who attend, so there is no need to contact me.
Now on to what the girls have been doing the last three weeks.
Week five was a great time. We learned about how to care for our hands, and to use our hands in ways that honor the Lord and serve others. We had special guest Mrs. Jean Humphries (Secretary from First Baptist Church Hatfield) to talk to us about properly caring for our hands. All the girls participated in soaking, caring for our cuticles, filing, buffing, and polishing our nails (base coat, color, and top coat). We talked about how lovely hands are poised hands and how to properly wash our hands to avoid germs. The girls were given a manicure/pedicure set to take home donated by Mrs. Carol Maechler (massage therapist).
What can I say…an adventure!!! We talked about foot care, but went much deeper. The adult and youth assistants and I embarked upon an adventure to say the least . We taught the girls the beautiful way to show love and heart for service as Jesus modeled for us by washing the disciples’ feet. We washed the girls feet, but more than that with Bath Junkie salt scrub donated by Dixie Nan (my mother’s maid of honor in her wedding/owner of Bath Junkie in Russellville). It was Spring Break scented and the girls loved it; except a few were ticklish…. The girls also had salt scrub hand massages and foot massages. It was a class full of pampering, but if you can believe it, we talked about hair too! Teena Brown from The Look Salon came to talk to the girls about how to care for their hair and what hair styles look best for the shape of face they have. The girls looked at hair magazines and got ideas on future hair styles. Needless to say we had a BLAST!!!
Fashion Time!!! Last week and the week after Spring Break we are talking about fashion. On Monday we learned how to build a wise foundation for fashion and one that honors the Lord. I spent over 8 hrs during the weekend getting ready for this class, but I think I had fun doing it ;). I searched PCDC, Wal-Mart, James Super Save, and all my teenage connections for fashion magazines. I came up with enough to create a few posters of what to wear and what not to wear clothing items all in good taste though and trust me that is difficult to find these days. We talked about the comparison game and body image, the one that the world promotes and the one that God desires. We also talked about styles, shapes, and colors, and came up with some ideas of fashion guidelines that the girls were already aware of (some really good comments from the students I must add). We also talked about some savvy and simple suggestions to use as a guide so people don’t scream FASHION EMERGENCY when they see us coming.
I hope these updates have been helpful to you. Please e-mail or call anytime you have questions or concerns regarding the class, your daughter or other events. That’s what I’m here for!
|Posted by Candace Riner on March 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM||comments (5562)|
Here we are already going into Week Five! Time is flying by, but we are having a wonderful time in class. Please forgive me for not getting the last three updates sent out in a timelier manner. I currently do not have a computer of my own at home and during the week I have not found time during my lunch breaks to send something out.
In this update I will give you a brief overview of what all we have been doing since the last time I had correspondence with you. Before I do, I want to take care of some housekeeping items so you are all informed of what is and will be going on in the weeks ahead.
• For those of you not receiving updates or correspondence via e-mail please add [email protected] to your safe sender list. I have had several people tell me that the e-mails I send go to their junk e-mail.
• If you are on Facebook and would like to keep up with information about Princess in His Image Ministries and class information, please visit the PIHI Facebook Page and become a member. See the link in the e-mail signature below.
• If you have not already been to our website, please see the links in the e-mail signature below and surf right in and become a member there also.
• I have receipts available for payment for the class for those of you who would like to pick them up at the window after class. I will have a youth helper available to assist you.
• We are planning an Overnight “Charm Course” Retreat for the girls to be held May 6-7 at the Ouachita Baptist Assembly near Board Camp. It will begin at 6:00pm on Friday night and conclude at 1:00pm with a closing ceremony on Saturday afternoon. Please read the information below for more information.
• The retreat is optional for the girls, however all girls and parents/guardians/grandparents are encouraged to come for a special closing three course lunch at 11:30am on May 7. The meal cost will be $5 per person.
• There will be a $25.00 fee for girls who would like to attend the Retreat. This will cover costs of dinner on Friday night, Breakfast Saturday morning, and the Lunch on Saturday as well as some special time of pampering on Friday night and a gift the girls will receive to use during their quiet time that they will take home.
• The closing ceremony will be a time of fellowship with family and friends and to honor each student individually as she has completed the course. There will be music and the opportunity for girls to dance with their fathers/grandfathers and time for girls to have tea with their mothers/grandmothers.
• During the retreat girls will attend a session on “Our New Look in Christ” and “Purity…A Priceless Commitment”. Also the girls will have time to practice and apply all the techniques they learned during the duration of the course. They will also learn the importance of quiet time with God each day and enjoy a time of praise and worship and fellowship with their friends. Please register your daughter no later than April 15. I will have a registration form available in a few weeks.
• I will be attending the Radiant Purity conference for ages 12-22 in Roger, AR along with my youth helpers in the class on April 22-23. This is a Bright Lights Conference which will be held at Immanuel Baptist Church on Friday evening and all day Saturday. There is also a Strong in the Lord conference for 8-14 held earlier that week on April 19-20 at the same location. However, I am not sure that I will be able to attend that conference. I am extending the invitation to all students and parents who would like to attend. I will be beginning a Bright Lights group for girls this Fall which is the organization hosting these conferences. I would love to see some of you there. I have attached information the flyer and registration form. You can also go online and register. Here are the links to the information for each conference:
• I will be holding a make-up class this Saturday, March 5 at 2:00pm-4:00pm for girls who have missed one or more class lessons. It will be an abbreviated version of the specific lesson which was missed. Please notify me by Friday if your girl will be participating. No snacks or refreshments will be served during this time.
• We will not have a regular class on Monday, March 21 due to Spring Break for the local public schools; however, I will be available for any student who would like to make up a missed lesson. So this date will be an additional make-up class time for any participant who has missed one or more classes. Please contact me by March 18 if your girl will be participating.
• Please encourage your girl(s) to complete the “Write from Your Heart” sections after each lesson in their workbook. Most of the time, we don’t not have time to complete it during class.
Now on to what the girls have been doing the last three weeks…
The girls learned the importance of taking care of their physical bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit and learned that their bodies are wonderful and unique. The girls learned that the foods they eat affect their entire bodies not only physically, but spiritually and mentally as well. We also discussed how we respond to stress and how better to deal with stress when it occurs. One of my dearest friends Tonya Moore came to talk to the girls about diet and exercise. She is a fitness and nutrition guru and is an excellent Christian role model. The girls enjoyed her visit.
During our time together this week, the girls learned how to be Positively Poised. This lesson helped the girls identify what good posture habits were and to better understand the importance of their walk with Christ. The girls got experience with standing in front of the mirror to find what perfect posture looks like and how to sit and bend down properly.
We had a special guest from Mrs. Pamela Peters a retired school teacher and wife of my employer Dr. Marvin Peters (Associational Missionary for the Ouachita Baptist Association). She shared with the girls tips on how to apply makeup and while I applied makeup on two of our youth helpers. One girl was to show how not to apply makeup and the other had the natural look we want to strive to have when applying and wearing makeup. At the beginning of class all of the girls learned practical steps of how to care for their faces through proper cleaning. They also learned about what their face says through the expressions that we portray to others. The 13-14 year old girls were allowed to apply appropriate makeup while I did the demonstration on our youth helpers.
Please let me know at anytime if you have concerns or questions regarding the class or other events. You can e-mail or call at anytime.
|Posted by Candace Riner on February 5, 2011 at 10:02 PM||comments (1126)|
I enjoyed the first class with the girls. We were able to get through page 11 in the Student Book and will continue on Monday, if the weather permits, with Lesson 2 “Balanced Beauty”. We will revisit pages 12-15 at a later time.
On Monday the girls were able to see a glimpse of who God designed them to be and learned how to make our outer appearance more appealing by starting first with our hearts (who we are on the inside is revealed by our outside). They also learned about putting Jesus first, others second, and ourselves last. This spells JOY (Jesus, Others, You). This is the Biblical order and with the Lord’s help we can strive to follow this example and reflect joy in our lives thus allowing our outer beauty to shine brighter and our inner beauty which comes from knowing Jesus to be a light in the world. We will continue to go over this throughout the course.
The girls had before and after pictures taken. The first round of pictures the girls were asked to stand as they felt was comfortable and how they would normally stand. I did not give them any guidance as to how to stand at that point. Following that we learned some “Posing Points” and then put them to work for the next round of pictures. At first the girls were a little nervous about having their pictures made, especially on the first night of class in an unfamiliar environment and not knowing me yet, but they soon warmed up. The before and after pictures were a dramatic change! Very good change and I hand them out at our next class so they can put them in their workbooks. We closed with look on page 17 “Reflecting Christ” and talked about how Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.
Parents/Guardians are welcome to work through and read the information in the workbook each week with the girls, but I ask that you please not go ahead of where we are in the class. This will help the girls be more excited about what we cover for the following week. Much of what is in the Student Book is not in the material that I teach, so it is beneficial for them to read through each lesson and practice pointer they learned after we have done so in class and to answer the questions “Write from Your Heart” each week (excluding Lesson 1, for now).
I ask for your prayers as I prepare weekly to teach them about God’s social graces and their true identities in Christ. I want the girls to see that I am transparent. I don’t claim to know all the answers and I am far from and expert on the Bible, but I do have a love for the Lord and a heart to reach girls for Christ. I have experienced much of the growing pains many of the girls are currently facing and going through as they are approaching their teen years or beginning them. In our human flesh we fail and we will never achieve perfection, but with the Lord’s help we can be refined as silver and live a life of joy if we seek to please and know the Lord. I hope that this class will create a ripple effect among the girls and that they will share the basic social graces with friends, but most importantly Christ with those in their circle of influence. May God receive all the glory for the good that comes from this humble effort to help these girls be confident in Christ and in social situations.
I pray hearts will be open and receptive to the suggestions taught and that they will grow in a relationship with the Lord through scripture memorization and Bible reading.
Please let me know at anytime if you have any concerns or have any questions. I intend to update you weekly on the class progress and other information as I see necessary.
~ Candace Riner
|Posted by Candace Riner on February 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM||comments (622)|
When predicted inclement weather threatens to make road conditions unsafe classes may be cancelled at the discretion of the teacher. If Mena Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather there will be no classes held that day. An e-mail will be sent notifying you that classes are cancelled in both circumstances. Classes will not be made up but will be moved forward a week if a class is cancelled.
|Posted by Candace Riner on February 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM||comments (3600)|
Preteens and teens will love their new look---inside and out!---after they're done going through this biblically based beauty course. They'll learn that true beauty comes from the heart, not just their appearance, and get practical guidelines for dress, grooming, table manners, diet, Bible reading, posture, prayer, and more. Concentration will be specifically on the heart while encouraging modesty and purity. Our main focus will be on how awesome it is that we have a God who accepts us for who we are.
Classes begun Monday, January 31. Girls (age 10-14) meet weekly on Monday’s from 4:00-5:30pm for a 13 week course at the Ouachita Baptist Association Conference Center in Mena. The cost is $75. A Student Book and snacks and refreshments are included in the class fee. There will be a closing dinner and father daughter dance event held following the course on a separate night.
New class forming for the Fall! September-November. Please contact Candace at [email protected] or visit our Join Us page for more information or to secure a spot for your Princess in the class.
Come join the fun with Candace and a team of teen leaders and special guests as we discover our true beauty in the Lord.